Sunday, April 22, 2012

Painted Hood and Fender

Three major body parts are ready to be sprayed with the final metallic blue top coat. Dayum.  I called Boojack last Friday and he had time this week to do the deed. On Monday I got a gallon of the good stuff – high test. I borrowed a truck to transport the parts and spent most of the evening carefully wrapping the hood and fender before placing them in the truck bed.
I pulled out my daughter’s Ninja Mutant Turtle Snuggie, my wife’s Navaho rug, two shams and our St. Kitts huge ass beach towels. Nothing was going to scratch my parts. I must have used a mile of rope to tie everything down and since there was a chance of rain on Tuesday I topped it all off with my camouflage tarp.
I am an early riser, so I was up at o’dark-thirty trying to figure out what time Boojack opened shop. The complication was that it was forecasted to rain all day and was drizzling already. I was watching the weather radar in order to time my run between the rain bands. It would be very bad if my parts got wet.
I finally called him at 7am and got a recording that the number had been temporarily disconnected. Nothing is easy, I am ready to go and my painter is out of business. I really hoped this was a cash flow situation and not a shutdown.  All I could do was head out and see what the deal was.
Here I go, driving 30 miles out in the Alabama country in a big pickup truck. My parts are wrapped in Snuggies and Indian blankets, covered up under a camo tarp, and it is raining. If this ain’t Hillbilly I don’t know what is.
This picture shows what I felt like as I was driving down the road. I am just glad a game warden did not pull me over, I am sure he would have fined me for impersonating a redneck.

As I had hoped, Boojack had not paid his phone bill on time and it was disconnected. He acted like it was a common occurrence. The rest was pretty routine. Boojack took the parts and three days later I picked them up, this time with a trailer.  He did a great job and I really like his shop. It makes me feel right at home, he must live in the historic district too.





These parts look so good I am storing them in the house. Since, Stephanie would not let me keep them in the bed room, I converted the dining room into the Parts Display Room and give tours on Wednesday afternoons.





No comments:

Post a Comment