Monday, April 4, 2011

Leaf Spring Order Update

As you know the leaf springs were ordered weeks ago from Posies, they gave me a lead time of eight weeks because they had to manufacture the rear springs. The “lowered” springs for a ¾ ton truck are not a stock item. “Manufacture” is car parts code for “it is going to cost you more”. While longer than I wanted, there really wasn’t any other option and I figured it would take that long to get the frame in order anyway. I was correct about the time needed on the frame, but I won’t be able to piddle around on one component this long again, not if I want to finish in my lifetime.
About seven weeks out I started calling Posies to get a status on the springs. The first few times the representative said he would get with Manufacturing and call me back with a schedule. I did not get any callbacks and figured the delay was due to the shackle bushings being made in Japan and due to the recent Tsunami, the plant was wiped out. Yeah for the global supply chain.
When I suggested this scenario to Posies they very quickly and proudly informed me that “all parts were made in the good old USA”. Okay, but when is Manufacturing getting off their break and going to make something?
Near as I can tell from the information they will tell me, Posies needed to manufacture both the front and rear leaf springs, and choose this time as an opportunity to improve their overall manufacturing process. This I gather is not going so well.  Still no date, but I am moving on to the brakes and have plenty of things to keep me busy. In fact, I have to focus on individual steps in the process because the whole project can feel like those videos in Japan where the Tsunami overruns everything.
Dale came by this weekend and we put the final top coat on the frame. Check it off the list! It sure looks good. I even attached the spring bumpers to the frame. There is nothing like a spring day in Alabama, Sunday afternoon listening to Salsa music, and putting new parts on your truck. Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment