Monday, April 25, 2011

Master Cylinder and Brake Lines

I have dutifully wire brushed the master cylinder and it looks sweet – there is something about a 55 year old patina and a retro design. I know some bronze sculptors that would kill for this look. Just for the record this has nothing to do with the mechanical functions, but then neither do high heels, sometimes looking good is the point. Regarding the mechanical part of this exercise, I have carefully taken the master cylinder apart and have the rebuild kit on standby.


As you would expect the insides are corroded and scored.  Could be a problem, but I don’t really want to buy a new one. After using 1000 grit sandpaper to hone the cylinder, I am just not sure that it is good enough. I decide to use a Lifeline – the neighborhood Goodyear shop. We take both our cars there and they do great work. I take a quick walk to the shop, it is just three blocks away. With the master cylinder in hand I confidently go in and talk to the salesperson at the counter. He gives it a look, admiring the patina (Ha!).
His first comment is that they never rebuild anything anymore. I am thinking to myself, can I cancel this Lifeline and reuse another time. Actually, I agree with him and we all know Dale does. If I was in business the time it takes to rebuild a part is cost prohibitive. He did look at it and basically said to try it, if there is no flow through the seals, you are good to go. If not, well there are plenty of options all involving new parts. The plan is to pressurize the brake system and check for leaks.


In my quest to reuse as many parts as are safe, I am going to use the existing brake lines. They seem to be in good shape, rusty, but solid. I take out my trusty wire brush and get to work. They clean up nicely and I spray on rust inhibiting primer, Magnific!  The compression fittings all turn, so I will be able to install the lines properly. Okay, all but one bad boy. You guessed it; the fittings on the long line would not turn. After crushing the brake line trying to turn the fitting, I used Uncle Hank’s automotive tip #5. Measure the old line with a string to get the accurate length and then buy a premade brake line at the auto shop.



Well my string said to get a 7’-1” line, Houston we could have a problem.  Sorry but no 7’-1” premade lines, however it is better to be lucky than good.  The store had a 6’ and a 1’ line, and the happy ending is the connector is 1’’, exactly what I needed. With my $2.00 pipe bending tool I formed the lines to the exact configuration needed, Sacre Bleu. By comparing the pictures I took before we disassembled the brake parts, I was able to re-install the master cylinder along with the front brake lines.
Oh sweet progress.



No comments:

Post a Comment