Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Pinion Nut Episode

There was a major oil leak from where the differential connects to the U-joint. Use of modern diagnostic MRI technology indicated that the pinion oil seal failed. This is not a fatal condition, but does require replacement. It was fairly easy to find a replacement part for the oil seal. The next step was to remove the pinion nut. First problem, this is a 1-5/8 inch size nut, translation into everyday speak – a Huge Ass Nut.  No one I knew had a socket this large; I figured I had to call Halliburton to send out some oil rig equipment and a drilling platform to get it off. Next issue, the pinion nut is a castle nut with slots for a cotter pin; this just makes it, well special.  The third issue was that Ricky Bobby the last person that put the pinion nut on used a chisel to tighten the nut. See reason one and two to understand why, he did not have a Hugh Ass Socket or know anyone at Halliburton, but he did have a big hammer.

The chisel technique basically fused the slots into the pinion threads making it impossible to remove the pinion nut. So Brian and I resorted to an advanced Man Technique, crack the nut off! This involves using a small drill bit to drill through the side of the nut, weakening the nut so that you can crack the nut in half with large hammer and chisel. I got out my brand new Harbor Freight drill bit and one metal filing came off and then it was like drilling with a wooden dowel. I used all 5 of my Barbie drill bits that were made in China with no progress. It was like trying to drill a hole into super hard steel with a piece of limp spaghetti. When things get tough the Manly thing to do it to buy bigger and better tools, so I bought 3 carbide bits at Home Depot, made in the USA. With one bit to spare I drilled through the nut and was able to split the nut.  Ouch!

 There was this little voice in my head that kept saying, it will take a miracle to find the replacement pinion nut, however, I was reassured by my pit crew that they were a dime a dozen and we could always make one as a last resort. Right…My first call was to Fastenal, one of my favorite stores, they have all the bolts and nuts anyone could want. The web site had a category dedicated to slotted nuts and even had a 1-1/8 diameter nut, just my size. Whoohoo!
Since I was out of town, my loving wife took my cracked nut to the Fastenal store and said she needed one of these for her husband. You have love her spunk. They made her put down the hammer and chisel before they would help her.
Turns out the pinion nut is very special, having 19 threads per inch, so Fastenal did not have one, but did offer to “fabricate” one for only $150.  When I retire I am going to get into the fabrication business and make a lot of money.
Next stop was Bills Truckstop web store, I gave them a call and while they did not have the part they did say that Randy’s Ring and Pinion would be my best bet. How could I go wrong, with Pinon in their name, they had to have it. Well, Randy’s catalog only went back to 1962, I have heard this before – is this a conspiracy? Okay, being resourceful I Binged - Huge Ass Pinion Nut, this is like Googling but not as good.  Let me make a socio-anthropological comment, it is scary that this is how we talk now.
After a number of dead ends I landed on West Coast Differentials, Jay the salesperson was very helpful, in fact he is the first salesperson that said he would look into something and call me back, that actually called me back. Luck was on my side and they had a 1-1/8 inch ID, 19 threads per inch, 1-5/8 OD Pinion slotted nut for a 1954 ¾ ton Chevy Pickup Truck. I took a deep breath and said the dreaded words – How Much? Silence, I could tell he was figuring out how much more he needed for those Laker tickets.  Twenty dollars was the reply and well he threw in the washer for good measure. All I could say was – Great! I was glad he didn’t say $50 dollars.

I got it in a few days and it looks great, they even dressed the threads, who said customer service was dead.


No comments:

Post a Comment