Sunday, August 7, 2011

Rear Leaf Springs

The big day has finally arrived; the rear leaf springs from Posies are mostly done. I received and email stating that the springs were just about finished and that they would be shipped in a week. When they shipped, the UPS tracker showed that they spent a few days in Atlanta; I sure hope they picked up some of my favorite Sweetwater IPA.


Orlando, the UPS person dropped the springs off and even put them in the back yard for my wife. Of course this was after he checked to be sure the dog was inside. The other day he dropped off a small package, but since our dog Abby was on the porch, he just stood by the truck, holding the package out from his arm. My wife had to walk across the street to get the package. I would probably be cautious of dogs if I was the UPS person, too.


I did a quick test installation of the springs and they fit perfectly, well mostly!
With all the delays, Posies did not charge me for the U-bolts and bushings. That was nice of them, but they shipped the wrong size U-bolts which meant that I would have to cut them to the correct size. Well that is nothing for an Ace Mechanic. These U-bolts looked like they were two feet long, oh well; it takes the same effort to cut off an inch as it does to cut off a foot. Just ask Lorena Bobbitt.
On to the next problem, my bushings are too small.…  Below are the rear shackle, the shackle bolt, and two too short bushings. Billy Mays must be just around the corner. Anyway, Posies agreed the bushing were the wrong size and sent the larger ones, much to Stephanie’s delight. My friends at R&R Speed Shop pressed the bushing into the shackle and man it doesn’t get any better than that.


The spring installation was easy, hang the shackle, insert the shackle bolt through the spring eyes, and stand back to see the good news. Just look at the before and after pictures, progress baby! Next up is the rear end and brake lines.
Happy Day





    



No comments:

Post a Comment